Year 3 2023 - 2024
Welcome to Year 3!
The teacher in Year 3 is Mrs. Durbin, with Miss Whitehead and Mrs. Yesilyurt supporting.
We are all here to help you to be your best self!
Welcome back to school! We hope you are all ready for a new year after a wonderful Summer break!
- In Literacy, we will follow the Language and Literacy Scheme of Work: this term we will be learning about stories with familiar settings and playscripts as our fiction units, with information and instruction texts as our non-fiction units. We will also cover daily reading, grammar, phonics, spelling, storytime, as well as additional weekly writing.
- In Maths, we will continue to follow the Maths No Problem! Scheme of Work. Our foci this term will be Numbers to 1000, Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication and Division.
Please continue to practise times tables on Times Tables Rock Stars as this will aid our learning in other subjects, such as fractions, and help our pupils to be their best selves.
- In History, we are going to be learning about the Stone Age to the Iron Age, focussing on life in the Stone Age, Skara Brae, and how life changed in th Iron Age.
- In Geography, we are learning all about North America, specifically focussing on The Rocky Mountains. Follow the web page for lots of information about this so you can see what we will be covering in class: https://www.oddizzi.com/teachers/help/schemes-of-work/
- In Science, we will be exploring Animals, Including Humans.
- For PE, we will be focussing on developing our multi-skills, with a specific emphasis on agility and co-ordination.
- In Art, we shall be looking at how artists use shape and space to help them create their artwork.
- During D.T. lessons, we shall be honing our sewing skills by using crosstitching to create small cushions.
- R.E. this term will be looking at Christianity, with a focus on inspiring people and traits of a good leader.
- Computing this term will be used to look at online safety. Using Google's Be Internet Legends online safety tools, we will be looking at how to be alert and secure online.
Year 3 will also have weekly reflection, music and drama lessons, most of which are taught by specialists. Our curriculum overview can be found as an attachment below.
Homework will be accesible through the Google Classroom every week on Friday and should be submitted by the following weekby Thursday; if you require support with accessing this, please come in and see us. If you require a paper copy of homework, we can arrange this; however, we are conscious of our carbon footprint and aim to reduce our printing so this is only as a last resort. Homework is rewarded with house points, and we offer lunchtime support to all our pupils.
Reading books will be allocated based on each individual pupil's reading ability, and they will be changed several times a week, as and when your children compete them - the more the merrier! We expect home reading with your little one at least three times a week. Not only will this earn your child house points, but if they read 4x weekly for a month, they will join in with Miss Wright’s VIP Starbooks Cafe.
You can find the Year 3 Spelling List here, but specific weekly spellings can be found on the homework. Please help your children to learn their spellings in as many practical ways as you can...follow the link for some creative ideas: https://www.literacyplanet.com/blog/8-fun-ways-to-teach-spelling/
Let’s Work Together!
The change from moving into Year 3 is a big one and can sometimes seem daunting, so we will always endeavour to work with you to create a nurturing, happy and engaging learning environment where every pupil can be their best self, ready for the first part of their journey in Key Stage 2! Please do not hesitate to contact me with any queries or concerns by popping into the office between 8.30am and 8.45am or ask Miss Jackson for a call back.
We will update Twitter regularly with lots of our learning, and we will communicate other news using Marvellous Me, so please ensure you are using both of these platforms to keep as up-to-date with us as possible. As always, we implement our whole-school Bee Rules in Year 3, as well as encouraging our pupils to dream, believe and achieve!